Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kitsap County March For Babies!

This is my amazing wife, Emily. She is the March of Dimes Community Director for... uh... like half of the state of Washington, actually. This is the busiest time of year for March of Dimes, because it is when they raise the majority of their money through the "March For Babies." If you have never heard of it, people ask their friends to donate money to their "walk," which they collect and then turn in on the day of the March For Babies, just before they do a 5 mile run/walk around the city. There are a lot of moving parts, she had 45 volunteers working for her today - lots of work!

Of course, she does all kinds of fund raising and awareness activities for the March of Dimes throughout the year, but we are all especially proud of her today for pulling off such a flawless event, and everyone think about her next Friday when she does the same thing in our state's capitol (she is the only Community Director in the state who manages more than one March For Babies event each year... crazy).

You rock, babe!

Ok, now for the CrossFit. My hand is still gimp and will be for a while, but I am slowly forcing it to do my bidding. Today I took on thrusters. I have to forgo the form a bit, which I am sure Dan would yell at me for, but I have to "death grip" the front squats. Sorry, Dan... it is the only way, because I can't bend my fingers back, yet.

Thrusters
3-3-3-3-3

Loads (lbs): 135, 135, 140, 145, 150

I am fairly convinced I could do a bit more when my hand heals, but my front squat PR is only 175lbs, and my push press PR is only 165lbs, so I think I am pretty close to where I should be for a 3RM, especially for not having complete use of my right hand.

There is great news today though, and I will let the video tell the story:







20 double unders, in a row! After eating a relatively Paleo lunch at Mandarin Chinese in Silverdale today (except for the excess salt, it really was mostly a Paleo meal...), I felt like a MetCon big-time. I am still suffering in this department, because I hate running, I don't own a rower (YET!), and most of my favorite CrossFit WODs are still inaccessible, due to the condition of my hand. I am making do with what I know, though!

2 rounds:

100 double unders

1 minute rest between rounds

Record times.

Times: 2:50; 3:05

I really almost had a better time on my second round, but the last ten double unders just really got to me, and I couldn't get my rhythm in sync. Oh, well, I am totally proud of this time. A month ago I was still afraid of double unders.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Emily!!! You do have an amazing wife. I am so proud of her. And, she has a pretty sweet and loving hubby. We miss you guys. I pray your hand continues to heal and you can use it more and more with each workout. Don't push it too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth. It is healing pretty quickly, actually, but my stitches keep ripping out. I still have half of them, though :)

    ReplyDelete