Friday, March 26, 2010

Grace and deadlifts

First off, let me apologize for the lack of media in this post.  The workout this morning was so incredibly disappointing to me that I didn't break out the camera.  The workout this afternoon was so awesome that I didn't break out the camera (I didn't want to miss any of it!), so I am sorry.

So, why did the workout this morning suck, you ask?  Well, remember that post all those weeks ago where I said how lucky we were to have such a cooperative gym staff at Navy Base Kitsap?  Yeah, I completely take it back.  We planned on Fight Gone Bad, and were totally stoked.  Joel, Derek, and I showed up very early to set everything up, when the NBK gym manager very rudely instructed us not to remove barbells from the weight room.  I will resist the incredible urge to rant about this.  In short: NBK gym - add one more person to your growing list of unsatisfied customers.

Instead, Derek had the group do wall ball shots (with very light medicine balls... again, the gym is not designed for elite fitness) and pushups.  The group got a good workout, and I have to keep telling myself that, but I didn't take pictures, and was in a pretty foul mood the rest of the morning.

Thankfully, our band hall is a disgusting cave of infestation, so we all got to go home early.  I took advantage of the "Aloha Friday" by inviting a bunch of people over to hit a WOD at Sullins' Gym (my garage).  Derek, Joel, and Cliff all came over this afternoon and we followed the Kitsap Crossfit prescribed workout from a couple of days ago.  Such an awesome afternoon, people.  We have to do this more often.  It is such a better environment than the gym!

This WOD comes directly from Kitsap Crossfit.


"Grace"

for time:
135lb cleans - 30 reps


Followed by deadlifts.

5-5-3-3-1

30!

Time: 5:25, as rx'd.
Loads: 225lb for the sets of 5 reps; 235 for the sets of 3 and 1.

I have never done Grace, so this is a benchmark.  In a couple of months I will program it again and see how well I can do!

Everyone else did great as well, and I think a good time was had by all.  This is what I love about CrossFit: It is all about no nonsense fitness, supported by a community of amazing athletes, including the guys that came over this afternoon to workout on their own time in my garage.  

I dare you to find an equivalent experience on a treadmill.  Actually, I know you won't, so why don't you save yourself the hassle and just start CrossFitting?

2 comments: